Monday, April 26, 2010

Bring Your Dog to Brunch!

I've lost this entry three times now, so be assured that it was a labor of love.

This month has been a good one for DC-area vegans. Thanks to our friends at Compassion Over Killing, there are loads of events and promotions going on for VegWeek. Between this, Earth Day, and the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale, we're well set with treats and celebrations.

In this spirit, I loaded my own vegan buddy, Mr. Darcy, into the car and we traveled to Arlington VA for Bring Your Dog to Brunch at Toscana. Toscana has a generous vegan offering all of the time and during the month of April, they are entirely vegan on the weekends.



The food was really great. Due to a website error, I was too late for brunch food, but the Sinatra Pizza made up for it. I'm not much for analogues these days, but the Daiya "Cheese" and Gardein "Chicken" was super good. I can't say it's the same as the real stuff, but taste and texture are stellar, and no one had to die or give up their young for me to eat, so it's an all around win.


Dessert stole the show though (though I feel I should disclose that's usually the case in my view). I ordered a vegan tiramisu and was presented with fluffy, chocolatey bliss. The picture doesn't do it justice - this thing was massive. The decaf coffee was super excellent too!

I didn't want to give my dining companion any chocolate or pizza, but luckily Max & Ruffy's was on the scene to share their human-grade, organic, vegan dog treats! Mr. Darcy is a junk food dog though and turned up his nose at the hippie treats, much to my embarrassment, but hopefully I can coax him to give up his poor eating habits over time.



I will definitely be going back for actual brunch in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment