Wednesday, June 16, 2010

More CSA Weeks

Yesterday marked week four of collecting CSA boxes. I dropped the ball on photographing the last two, but the recent weeks brought leeks, cauliflower and broccoli, which was a welcome departure from the radishes and greens onslaught.


Though I admit, I have a new fondness for roasted radishes.


And even the new-to-me white radishes are lovely.


The biggest issue so far is using the greens before they go bad. I get dandelion, spinach, radish, mustard, mixed, and a few unidentified greens. And then lettuce to top it off. I have to make it a point to prep them immediately and use them right away.

First thing now, I clean and pack them all in (reused) ziploc bags. My mom got me a salad spinner years ago, and I used it occasionally - I'm not actually one to eat a lot of salad - but now I'm gaining some serious arm strength spinning bags and bags of greens each week.


Second, I've employed some new cooking habits. I've double up the greens in the daily green smoothie. It means a lot less fruit, but fruit is easy for me to eat throughout the day, so no big loss.

I've come to love the Stir Fried Greens recipe from Veganomicon. It's a quick and flavorful bed for millet, barley, beans, rice and leftovers. The Vegan Brunch recipe for Swiss Chard Frittata is another easy way to get through some greens fast.

Of course, you can always throw a handful into any soup or pasta, but I'm on the lookout for more creative ideas. Vegan Burnout has a similar abundance of greens and linked a recipe for Green Mashed Potatoes that I'm going to have to try. I notice that it requires an oven temperature of 400°, just like roasted radishes. Extra points for efficiency!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for being able to stick two dishes in the oven at the same time! Though, to be honest, even if the times are different by 50 degrees or so, sometimes I just cheat. :) I hope you like those mashed potatoes. I have a feeling I'll be coming back to that recipe as we get inundated with more greens....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My love for efficiency is out of control and sometimes I do a whole week's cooking in one night simply to get the most out of my oven time!

    I'm excited about the mashed potatos! I've been hoarding greens recipes like mad, and this is a good comfort foods one.

    ReplyDelete