Wednesday, May 19, 2010

CSA Week 1!

Every Saturday morning, I walk up to MOM's for breakfast supplies. I used to plan ahead, but now the morning walk has become part of the process and guarentees I won't spend the whole day as a laze-about. A few weeks ago, a woman had a table covered in greens with a sign that said "CSA." The one I've been eyeing for over a year now runs out of membership space almost instantly, but Allison assurred me that there were shares left from her farm AND that the pick up location was MOM's. Perfect!

I signed up and last night walked up to MOM to get my first share! It was like vegan Tuesday Christmas and the excitement was palpable. I pictured my rustic wooden box, overflowing with veggies every color of the rainbow. Perhaps a bunny waering a hat would poke his little head out and I'd pet him the whole way home.

The box was waxed cardboard and I could only see green peaking through just a bit. But I was not dissapointed, I knew my vision was a bit grand.

Upon getting home, I unloaded bunches of green - several bunches of greens, and a bag of greens and one bunch of radishes. Great! I love green smoothies and salads. But this was a lot of greens.



Today, for breakfast, I had the greenest smoothie I've ever had. Except for 1/3 cup each of mango and blueberries, and a tablespoon of hemp protein powder, the smoothie was all dandelions and spinach. Oh and one radish, just for some spice. It was pretty good too!



I'm looking forward to more smoothies, salads, SusanV's Roasted Radishes and Pearl Onions and VCON's Stir-fired Greens recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment