Thursday, October 18, 2012

Vegan MoFo 18: Sweet Potato, Roasted Red Pepper, and Corn Bisque

Don't be mad, I did say I'd just go ahead and make all the soups in 500 Vegan Recipes, so this is another one of those. However, this soup was a surprising departure from the pattern.

It took over an hour to make. Well, it only took a few minutes to get on the stove, but it had to simmer for an hour. I've been spoiled by quick soups. This was worth it though - thick, spicy, and filling. I didn't even use the called for 2 cups of creamer - I'm not rich or something. I just used two cups of coconut milk beverage. I did opt for the extra chipotle pepper, and I could feel the heat.


Another keeper! Maybe I should rank these soups at the end of the month.

Oh and I learned something while doing the shopping for this. If you buy roasted red peppers packed in water in a jar from the sort-of Italian section of the grocery store, you're going to pay about three times as much as you will if you get "Fancy Pimientos" from what my grocery calls the "Hispanic Foods" section.

In my experience, the same is true for anything you can get in an "ethnic" foods section. Red lentils are fancy eating in one isle, and cheap Indian fare in another. I have a love/hate relationship with the politics and economics of that fact, but I think it's just one more reason to encourage people to save money and eat better by exploring traditional meals that are made of actual foods when they are able.

2 comments: