Friday, October 26, 2012

Vegan MoFo 26: A Reason to Pay What I Did for Those Mushrooms

Once you've reached the point that you'll pay $11 for mushrooms, you may as well pay $14. Or so I've been told.

At the Baltimore Farmers' Market there is a really nice group of mushroom farmers that bring a nice variety every week. I've bought exciting new kinds of mushrooms there before, but never felt justified buying one of the mix trays.

That changed when I chose Mushroom Hash from How to Pick a Peach as one of my fall recipes to try. The recipe calls for a pound and a half of mixed mushrooms, and I figured I may as well go balls to the wall. Incidentally, that phrase is about airplane acceleration, so let's keep this clean, yeah?

I was looking over the $11 trays, but my companion pointed out that I may as well throw down the extra $3 dollars and experience the taste of "deluxe."

So I did.

Then I made Mushroom Hash for breakfast one day. The only changes I made were to substitute ingredients that I didn't have on hand. I used apple juice with a bit of vinegar to stand in for white wine, and almond milk instead of cream.

I was almost late to work because I was having seconds. This is a decadent breakfast option, and I won't hesitate to buy exotic mushrooms again if I'm entertaining and need to impress. It was an easy dish to make, and took under 45 minutes to do, start to finish. All of the ingredients seemed to work to bring out the flavor of the mushrooms, and then that was imparted to the potatoes.

I know I said that I'd wait to try recipes from all the seasons before reviewing the book, but I don't think I need to. I will, but really, just check out the book already.

4 comments:

  1. That looks like my ideal breakfast! I wish the farmers markets where I live had exotic mushrooms! The book sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, I'm won over by the book. I might end up owning a copy soon. Is the lack of fancy mushrooms a UK thing, or is it just your local farmers' market? If it's the latter, I may run away and become an exotic mushroom farmer in the UK.

      Delete
  2. I totally love wild mushrooms. I wish they were a little cheaper. I'd eat them all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I scored a steal on them this weekend, but they're still wicked expensive. It makes me want to learn to forage in the country.

      Delete