Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Even More 5/50

No grease fire is going to derail my Indian cuisine kick. I didn't really mean to start off my cookbook exploration by focusing so heavily on one book, but I got carried away meal planning last week. Plus, 5 Spices, 50 Dishes has proven to be so user-friendly, and has yielded such tremendously delicious results that it's been hard to put it down. In fact, the super quick and easy recipes have been for breakfast most times.

I most recently made three lovely dishes.

Sweet Potato with Ginger and Lemon

Sautéed Beets with Mustard and Lemon Juice

Corn with Mustard Seeds


I really like the whole five spices shtick because everything goes with everything. I have used more mustard seeds in the past two weeks than I have in my entire life, and they're awesome every time.

One thing I learned in making the sweet potatoes is that Ruta Kahate knows what she's talking about, and that I don't need to reduce the spices or the salt. Usually I do that when using Indian food books, but she really hit the sweet spot for an American who likes spicy enough to break a head sweat, but not spicy enough to cry.

Now I haven't strayed from the vegetables section - I haven't even crept in daals, which is weird for me, but I'd say the book is worth it already. I still want to make some of the non-vegan dishes (obviously altered to be acceptable), and will get to it, but I also want to jump into some of my other books.

I still have a few recipes to make, since I've already bought the groceries, so for now, I'll just keep eating these spicy, tasty veggie dishes and telling you how great they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment