Sunday, November 11, 2012

No Thank You, I'm Vegan

Another milestone! I didn't say this last night, rather, it was said to me. It was very exciting.

Earlier that yesterday afternoon, I was ready to finally make the Figgy Apple Hand Pies from Vegan Pie in the Sky. Then I realized why that book is so under-utilized in this house. Pie almost always requires two recipes when you count the crust, and I had no Earth Balance to make one.

So I turned to my battered copy of Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar and made the Chocolate Fudgy Oatmeal Cookies. I had never made them before, and balked a little at the dried fruit, but the trust I put in Moskowitz and Romero served me well.

The cookies are fantastic. They're exceedingly rich and maybe a little too sweet, but then I usually reduce the sugar amount and I didn't in this one, for no particular reason.

Even better, they got rave reviews when I took them to some friends. When I offered one to an unexpected guest, he politely rebuffed me with that all-to-common mantra, "No thank you, I'm vegan."

Surprised, I chirped back, "So am I!" It took a moment, but it dawned on him that what I was really saying is that the cookies were vegan. He loved them.

I am always passing on treats, so it was a very satisfying moment to be able to provide for that vegan who usually has to say no thanks.



However, this was not this week's only vegan victory.

I went to talk to one of my superiors about what happened on the staff wine tasting retreat. She was very kind and when I explained that the lack of vegan food was a contributing factor, she told me that from now on, there would ALWAYS be vegan food at events. She told me that she's used to being the odd one out due to a disability, and that she didn't like seeing anyone having to go through it. Additionally, she enjoys vegan food and would love to have more.

I will still bring my emergency food stores to any boozy event, but I was really warmed by how she wanted to make inclusiveness a priority.

If these cookies survive the weekend, I'll bring her some!

2 comments:

  1. love this post! i bet that man was so happy about you and your cookies. they look amazing.

    ReplyDelete