Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Share a Book

I have to do two posts a day for the rest of January to catch up to my goal, so get ready! I'll try to keep from going on too long in any one of them.

I love to read and have made reading several of the major AR works one of my goals for the year, but reading is much more fun and becomes an effective method of activism when you share.

You should be reading these books anyway. I thought I was pretty well versed in AR ideas, concepts, campaigns, and history, but I've already read two short books that changed my mind on that. The knowledge I've gained is invaluable, and I feel inspired and creative. Now I want to parlay the time I've spent reading into direct action for the animals, and here's the plan.

1. Buy two copies of one of the following:
Eating Animals
Ethics into Action
Meat Market
Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating
Striking at the Roots: A Practical Guide to Animal Activism


2. Donate one copy to your local library or school.

3. Read your copy, and take notes. Believe me, you'll engage with the text more thoroughly this way and it really forces your brain to work.

4. Lend your copy to someone (or several someones) you'd like to read it. Exact a promise from them to do so, and to discuss it with you after.

5. Have that discussion. Invite them over for tea and vegan scones, or pizza, or beer - you get the idea - and listen to their thoughts and ideas. Ask questions. Answer questions. In fact, I strongly recommend reading The Animal Activist's Handbook prior to the discussion to help inform your methods of interaction.

6. Ask for something. What you ask for depends on the outcome of the discussion, and the reaction of your chosen reading buddy, but come armed with a few ideas. You could try asking that they replace a particular product, like milk, with an analogue; that they try veganism for 30 days; that they go vegan for good; that they observe meatless Monday; that they visit a sanctuary with you; or that they spend a day volunteering with you somewhere. The key is to pick something that will be meaningful, that they'll be likely to commit to, and that you can provide alternatives or resources for.

Easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment