Wednesday, January 26, 2011

PPK Cookbook Challenge Week 1: Appetite for Reduction

The PPK Forum Cook Book Challenge began about three weeks ago, and I've kept up with it, but not with chronicling my endeavors. So here we go.

Check out my menu planning board! Week 1 was Appetite For Reduction. I didn't get pictures of everything, unfortunately.

Thai Roasted Root Vegetable Curry
This was great and I'll certainly make it again. The sweet potatoes especially made it creamy. I wasn't wild about the Brussels sprouts, so I'll leave them out in the future, but I know that's a personal failing and can't be blamed on the recipe.

Vegan Bowl with Caesar Chavez Dressing
I love the section on bowls. These dishes are cheap and easy. The dressing was really great. I subbed scallions for shallots, which I realize changes the taste, but I think either version would work really well.

Black Beans in Red Velvet Mole and Ginger Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Apples
The mole was a new set of tastes to me and I did really like it, but next time I'll half the recipe. It made so much and I found that a little goes a long way. They did go really well with the sweet potatoes though. That dish is certainly a keeper, and would be a really nice autumn holiday item.

Scarlet Barley and Mushroom and Cannelini Parprikas
I really loved the barley here. It was subtly sweet and so pretty to look at. The paprikas was good, but maybe could have used a little more flavor. I confess, I had to use great northern beans for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment