Sunday, January 9, 2011

One-on-One Actvism, An Example

I keep referring to what I've done in the past and what I'd like to do in the future in terms of activism. Though I have a lot of new areas to explore, I won't abandon my old ways either.

Last week for my birthday, my parents took me out for a vegan dinner at Bus Boys & Poets followed by dessert at Sticky Fingers Bakery. My parents are not vegan, but they've changed a lot of habits to live kinder lifestyles and they have three daughters hammering away for change.

We exchanged holiday gifts too. I got them the gift cards they requested, but I also bought them a copy of Appetite for Reduction. My dad's been really into tracking his diet and exercise through his iPad, and AFR has all the necessary nutrition information. So I gave them that with the instructions to cook through it, in a year.

They're also required to document their efforts so that I can feature them in this blog.

Obviously, I can't make them do any of this, but I can, as it's a true family tradition, bug the hell out of them. My sisters will do the same.

I generally wouldn't recommend pestiferousness as a mode of activism, but they're my parents, and I still remember what it was like when I didn't have health insurance. They were hell-bent on my getting it, and so the phone calls, emails, and newspaper clipping of horror stories did not cease until I'd done so. And they still remind me from time to time of the importance, for good measure I suppose.

Besides, the more at-home, vegan cooking they do, the less they'll go out and forget their vegan manners. I have a feeling that they won't get through this year without converting totally, and this is just one of the ways I'm going to help them along.

***


Before I was even able to publish this post, they got started and made their first meal. It looks wonderful!

Warm Mushroom and Cranberry Salad with Creamy Horseradish Dressing

2 comments:

  1. That salad does look great, I love mushrooms. I got my mum a vegan cookery book too fro Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got the book for myself on Monday. I haven't made the salad, but I love mushrooms too, so it's on my list. The two recipes I made so far (which I'll be posting soon) were awesome.

    ReplyDelete