Friday, November 12, 2010

12. Apples and Onions, Huh?

That's a combination I wouldn't have come up with on my own. In fact, I'd never heard of anyone doing such a thing until I stumbled upon it twice in the same week.

First, I just got a copy of The World in your Kitchen a few days ago, and while doing some before-bed reading, I found the Apple Bean pot. I like apples and beans, and was intrigued by this dish from Saudi Arabia, but the ingredient list contained onions. Hmm, I was skeptical at best.

Then, at the beginning of Vegan MoFo, I found this recipe for Apples with Marjoram. Sounds delicious - I love those things ... but wait, what's that I see as the second ingredient? "2 big onions (there should be about 1 cup of diced raw onion)."



I figured it must be a sign. I was destined to eat apples and onions (and beans). I decided to make the bean pot first, since it's more of a complete meal, but I've marked the other recipe to use as a side to a casserole or roast.

The Apple Bean Pot was snap to make. I had soaked and cooked the beans ahead of time, so I just did a little chopping, sautéing, and measuring. The spice combination of turmeric, cinnamon, allspice, and cumin smelled divine when added to the pan of caramelized onion. I left the optional sugar out of the cooking, since I make enough desserts that I'm in no danger of deficiency.



I decided to pair this dish with bulgur, a staple of Middle Eastern diets, and plain coconut milk yogurt, the vegan version of what the author of the book recommends.



As it turns out, everything about this was a good idea. The spice combination is rich and subtle. The apples were perfectly sweet, and a bit tart, and the onions soft and caramelized. The flavors combined perfectly. This is a warming and filling fall dish that could easily be elevated to comfort food. It would also be great with some flatbread and sautéed greens.

Sorry, no finished product shot of this meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment