Sunday, November 14, 2010

14. PPK MoFo Survey.


What's your favorite spice or spice blend?
-Right now, I'm loving the All American Spice Blend from American Vegan Kitchen.

You have $20 to spend on fresh groceries and produce for the whole week (with a fairly well stocked pantry of dry goods, legumes, grains, and spices). what do you buy?
-Coconut milk, greens, in-season vegetables, almond milk, a bit of chocolate.

What's your favorite way to make tofu/tempeh/seitan? (I combined this with another question).

-Tofu: Marinated and baked.
-Tempeh: Marinated fried.
-Seitan: I've only made it once, and it was a chicken salad-style dish

Vegan guilty pleasure?

-Sweet & Sara 'Smores

If you could make anyone vegan, who would it be?

-I hate to be so unoriginal, but Oprah. She has such a wide, and incredibly powerful influence on a demographic that makes, statistically speaking, the most decisions about food purchasing and preparation for entire families.

If you could only read one other vegan blog, what would it be?
-If we mean food blog, it's Fat Free Vegan Kitchen - my whole Thanksgiving meal came from that site last year.
-If we're talking vegan-themed blogs, then Vegan.com. This site inspires me to do more than just eat.

Were you always interested in cooking, or did veganism change the way you saw and interacted with food?

-I was always into baking, but never did much cooking until my junk food diet left me feeling unwell. Veganism definitely changed how I interact with food.

Excluding analogues, what new things have you tried that you probably wouldn't have as an omni?

-Scratch baking. Seriously, I was such a lazy box baker before! It's shameful.
-The cooking traditions of various ethnic groups, including my own.
-A lot of individual foods.

What is the one vegan staple that everyone seems to love, but you can't get behind?
-I'm not all that big on seitan. I'm still trying it in a few things, but dishes that are too seitan heavy kind of freak me out.

What was your first "wow, I'm such a stereotypical vegan" moment?
-I really can't remember one, but I was probably wearing a scarf, drinking a green smoothie, and explaining the protein myth to someone.

First recipe you veganized?
-Officially, Koshiri. I'm sure I've done things like subbed in Vegenaise or almond milk, but that's the first thing I've had to play around with

What would you like to veganize, but haven't yet?
-I had to think really hard about this - all of my favorite dishes have been veganized. I would really like to veganize ox tail soup though - not for me, but for a friend who cites it as her only reason for no going vegan.

Favorite kitchen utensil/appliance?
-Waffle maker!

Most disastrous kitchen failure?
-Chocolate peanut butter brownies. Awful!

First vegan cookbook?
-Robin Robertson's Vegan Planet

What question about being vegan do you HATE answering?
-"Where do you get your protein?" It's cliched for a reason.

If you could tell the world one thing about vegans, what would it be?
-We aren't ascetics who can be easily categorized. Vegans come from all walks of life and all backgrounds. We're united by our belied in a cruelty-free lifestyle, and there may be common trends in vegan communities, but we're all individuals.

Funniest vegetable?
Rutabaga.

What is a family recipe you have veganized?
-None yet! But I'm working on it.

Weirdest food combination ?
-Ricemellow and chocolate chips. The flavors aren't strange together, but it's a treat that gets me weird looks from others b/c it's not a proper dessert.


Is there something you wish you could veganize, but can't/couldn't?
-No. All my favorites

Are your pets vegan? if so, what do you feed them?
-My pup eats PetGuard Organics Vegetarian Dog Food



Favorite non-dairy milk?
-Almond Breeze for plain
-Silk Nog for the holiday

What’s one “vegan myth” you’d like to squash?
-That we're emotional, and not logical.

2 comments:

  1. ricemellow and chocolate chip sounds wonderful! not strange to me at all : ]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad someone thinks so. When I tell most people about it, they say ti sounds gross, but they change their minds once they try it.

    ReplyDelete