Wednesday, November 24, 2010

24. Capital City Cheesecake

Vegan Treats is the reigning champion of commercial vegan cheesecake, but I am all for others taking a shot at the crown. While Capital City Cheesecake won't dethrone VT anytime soon (not a chance, since it's not a vegan joint), it at least remembers we vegans in its menu. Currently, there's only one vegan cheesecake available and it's plain, but the lovely staff are willing to top it with whatever you'd like, so points for that. And it's pretty good. (Pardon the phone picture).



I actually haven't had a plain cheesecake in ages. Here at home, I make Pumpkin Cheesecake or any one of the flavors from Vegan Planet. I don't know if I've ever seen a plain cheesecake at VT - but I've had lemon, raspberry, chocolate, pumpkin, peanut butter, and mint. I think they have plain topped with strawberries or cherries, but I get distracted by the more colorful options.

At the end of the day, I'm happy to see restaurants offering vegan options and using the word "vegan." It means they're aware of us and the options, it brings it to the attention of others, and it's normalizing. Of course I'll join you for cheesecake, and no we don't have to make the 3 hour trip to Bethlehem, PA. Besides, they had good coffee and vanilla (bonus points) soy milk to add to it.

I think I'll add them to my letter-writing list. Plain may be a nice change for me, but I'd like to see their Oreo cheesecake veganized.

2 comments:

  1. mm I love cheesecake! I want a slice! Must go out and purchase Vegan Planet. I've heard so many good things about that cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegan Planet is a good one to have - it was my first Vegan cookbook. My only complaint is that it's really light on the spice in spicy dishes, but I think that's for mass appeal and it's really easy to fix. Besides, the cheesecake recipes in it are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete