Tuesday, November 23, 2010

23. White Orchids

I went to high school in the Lehigh Valley, PA, and I can assure you that it was never the happening place back then. I wasn't a vegan at the time, but I was vegetarian living on french fries mostly.

Now that I've moved away, several vegan-friendly spots have popped up. These places aren't vegan-friendly as in they'll hold the cheese, chicken, and ranch on the house salad for you; these places actually use the word "vegan" on their menus.



Vegan Treats is a bit of a given there, but another place that welcomes vegans is White Orchids in Center Valley. This Thai restaurant has become a family favorite. It's beautifully decorated inside and there are vegan and gluten-free menus that offer a variety of dishes to satisfy any taste.



On my most recent trip, I had fragrant Jasmine Tea, spicy Masaman Curry, Cool and Refreshing Summer Rolls, Pineapple Fried Rice, and Som Tum (papaya salad). I shared all of these dishes, or I would have exploded, and had the leftovers for dinner. There are a lot of Thai places in D.C., but honestly not one has come close in taste or vegan access to White Orchids. They get that vegan means no fish sauce. And I never imagined I'd live to see the words "vegan menu" at any restaurant in the Valley.


No comments:

Post a Comment